Should You Notify Charles Schwab of Travel?
I’ve been living outside of the US on and off for over 10 years now and getting a Charles Schwab card has been a game changer. They give you FREE ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world (at least anywhere I’ve been) and they give you a great exchange rate. Basically, the rate that you “Google” is the exact rate that you’re going to get. They’re customer service is also great with almost no hold times. So calling them up to let them know of international travel, while not 100% required, is usually a good idea. Whether you’re traveling domestically or internationally, it’s crucial to ensure that your finances are secure and protected while you’re away. In this article, we’ll explore whether or not you need to notify Schwab of travel and the steps you should take to protect your accounts while traveling.
Why You Should Notify Your Bank When Traveling
Here are the top reasons to let your bank know about your travel plans
- Fraud protection: By notifying your bank, they can monitor your accounts for any suspicious activity while you’re away. This can help prevent fraud and unauthorized transactions on your accounts.
- Account access: Depending on your travel destination, you may need to access your accounts while you’re away. If you let them know ahead of time, they can ensure that you have uninterrupted access to your accounts.
- Customer service: If you experience any issues with your accounts while traveling, it can be helpful to have already notified Charles Schwab of your plans. This can expedite any customer service or support you may need while you’re away.
If you’re traveling within the United States, you may not need to let your bank know. However, it’s always a good idea to monitor your accounts closely while you’re away to ensure that there are no unauthorized transactions.
If you’re traveling internationally, it’s highly recommended that you let your bank or credit card company know. This is because international travel can increase the risk of fraud and unauthorized transactions on your accounts. By notifying your bank of your travel plans, the company can monitor your accounts and take appropriate action if necessary.
How to Notify Charles Schwab of Travel
This is a simple process. You can do so through your online account or by contacting customer service.
- Online account: Log in to your Charles Schwab account and navigate to the “Travel Notifications” section. From there, you can enter your travel dates and destinations.
- Customer service: You can also notify Charles Schwab of your travel plans by calling customer service. Be sure to have your account information and travel dates on hand when you call.
Schwab Mobile App Travel Notifications
Traveling for less than 14 days? Good news! You can use the Schwab Mobile App on your Cell Phone to add your travel notification.
Start by loging into your account, then click on “more”:
Now click on “client services”
Next, go to travel notice and input your travel details
If you’re traveling for less than 14 days, then just save this information and your done! But if you’re gonna travel for more than 14 days then you will need to call into Schwab.
Do I need to notify Schwab every time I travel?
Yes, it’s a good idea to let them know every time you travel to ensure that your accounts are monitored while you’re away.
How far in advance let my bank know of my travel plans?
Do this as soon as possible, preferably at least a week before your departure date.
What information do I need to provide when notifying Schwab of my travel plans?
You’ll need to provide your travel dates and destinations, as well as your contact information in case the company needs to reach you while you’re away.
Charles Schwab has great customer service so it’s easy to just give them a call and let them know of your travel plans. And while it’s not 100% necessary, it’s always a good idea to do this to make sure that your accounts are secure while you’re away. By doing so, you can protect yourself from fraud and unauthorized transactions, ensure uninterrupted access to your accounts, and expedite any customer service or support you may need while traveling. Be sure to notify Charles Schwab of your travel plans before you depart to enjoy a worry-free trip.